Saturday 8 April 2017

Victoria Sponge


It has been years since I made a Victoria Sponge.  I love the buttery vanilla cake filled with Jam and Cream.  Always great with a cup of coffee or tea.  I thought i would make one for a friends going away at work.  Yes I did make a trial one for the boys as well.

There are two methods for making a Victoria Sponge either the traditional cream method and then the all in one method.

I made my cakes both ways and there was not much difference bar time.  The best advice I can give you is weigh your eggs, match all the other ingredients weights to the eggs.

4 eggs this should be approx 230 to 250 gm in weight
self raising flour, same weight as eggs
butter, softened same weight as eggs
caster sugar, same weight as eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 


I placed my jug on the scales then set the scales to zero, cracked in my 4 eggs and measured the other ingredients to match.



Place all ingredients into your mixer bowl and on low speed beat until combined, turn the mixer to medium and beat for two minutes or until smooth.


Divide evenly between 2 lined, 20cm baking tins.  Bake at 180 C for 25 to 30 minutes.  NOTE: You must NOT open the oven door at all for 25 minutes or the sponge will sink.  

I say this from experience!! 😢

Take cakes out of the oven once cooked and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tins and then remove from tins and turn out onto a cake rack.  When fully cooled top one cake with jam of choice and whipped cream then serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment