Sunday 21 February 2016

Brownie and Raspberry Mousse Cake


SUCCESS!

I have finally managed to make a berry mousse that didn't fail!  

I tell you what, we have had some flops.  

Oh my this is a very yummy cake.  I was trawling Google for recipes and came across 2 that looked possible however I didn't like the base they were on.  I kind of had my heart set on a chocolate brownie base, because well why not!

Brownie Base

250 gm dark chocolate
60 gm butter
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup plain flour

Raspberry Mousse

5 cups frozen raspberries, thawed
3 leaves of gelatin
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 cups cream, whipped

1 punnet of fresh raspberries for decoration



Melt chocolate and butter together until smooth.


Stir sugar through chocolate mixture.  Allow to cool.


When cooled mix through the beaten eggs.


Gently fold through the flour until just combined.



How do you line your spring form pans?  I found this handy tip.  If you fold the side piece of paper over about 1 to 1 1/2 cm then cut little tabs up to the fold.  Then slot your base piece over the top and your good to go and if you lightly grease the tin so the paper sticks it works even better.


Pour brownie mix into your prepared tin.


Bake at 180C for 25 to 30 minutes or until set around the edges.  Allow to cool completely.


When the brownie is cooled.  Soak your gelatin in cold water.


Blitz your thawed raspberries to a puree.


Pass through a sieve to strain off the seeds.  You should get a cup of straight raspberry puree.


Place your puree in a pan, heat adding the sugar, stir until dissolved.  Squeeze the water from your gelatin and add to the pot, stir until dissolved.


Place your raspberry mix in a jug and set aside to cool to room temperature.


When your puree is cooled.  Whip your cream and when at stiff peaks fold through the raspberry mixture.



Pour your raspberry mousse over the brownie,  This is why you left the brownie in the pan.  The baking paper up the sides will allow for your mousse to fill the tin if your sides are not high enough.

Allow to set for 4 hours minimum or over night.


Remove from the tin and peel off the baking paper.  Decorate as desired.


4 comments:

  1. Kate, this cake looks incredibly divine! That colour - wow! And I love your method for lining your springform cake pan. I usually just cut out a circle for the bottom then line the inside with one long strip, but it always ends up moving around a bit. Your way looks much more effective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Lisa :D I saw this technique for lining a tin on a Mary Berry show and knew that when I made this I would have to try it or the side bit would end up moving on me :S I have a picture running through my head of GBBO type disasters and mousse spilling everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word.
    You had me at Brownie Base!
    The colour of the raspberry puree is just heavenly. My hubby would be a massive fan of this one, let me tell you.
    Thanks so much for linking up to Your Weekly Feed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What size pan? Am I missing where you said? I’ve been wanting to try something like this and yours looks perfect!😍

    ReplyDelete