Tuesday 27 October 2015

Creme Patissiere (French Pastry Cream)


I have always been reluctant to try making Creme Patissiere as it looks so complicated.  As usual I don't know what I was worried about!

I do have a cousin or two who are chef's and one who is currently doing a Pastry Chef's course,  I was going to get Rachel to show me how to make it while I was visiting my parents in Melbourne recently, however with Rach working and me visiting just about everyone else, I didn't even get time to spend with her.  Sorry Rach!

I am going to give you the measurements for 2 amounts here, one for 500ml and one for 1 litre, you don't always need to make a full litre of Creme Pat you can make a nice reasonable amount.

Creme Patissiere can be used in many things, in Eclair's lightened with a little cream, in Profiteroles or a nice Strawberry Tart.

500 ml

125 gm caster sugar
500ml milk
50 gm plain flour
1 whole egg
3 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean, split with seeds scraped out

1 litre

250 gm caster sugar
1 ltr milk
100 gm plain flour
2 whole eggs
6 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean, split with seeds scraped out

I found it best to get all your ingredients together and have everything measured and ready to go before you start, once you get going it can be a quick process, if you have to leave what your doing you could end up with scrambled egg!




In your saucepan place your milk and vanilla seeds and pod.  Heat milk until just boils.  Remove the vanilla pod.




In your mixing bowl place your eggs, yolks and sugar.  Whisk until light and fluffy and doubled in size.


Add the flour to the egg mix and whisk again.


With your mixer running at about 3/4 speed in a slow steady drizzle add the hot milk mix.  When you have added all the milk transfer back to the saucepan you heated the milk in, I personally strain the mixture back into the saucepan

.

With a whisk ;you need to whisk the mixture over a medium heat.  It will take about 5 minutes to cook off the flour and eggs and for the mixture to thicken.  This is a good way to get rid of the old Tuck shop lady arms, if like me you have them!

The mix will go thick quickly but don't worry this is correct.



Transfer to a shallow dish and cover with cling film, this is to stop a skin forming on the Creme Pat while it cools.  Scott's Auntie Marg did remind me the other week that you can sprinkle a thin layer of sugar over the top and this will do the same thing.  Allow to cool to room temp then refrigerate until needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment