Sunday 5 April 2015

Chocolate Chip and Maple syrup Hot Cross Buns

Happy Easter from the Kitchen

 
We are having a quiet Easter this year.  I have never made my own Hot Cross Buns, I normally buy them from the local bakers.  This year as Scott is not doing well I decided to make my own, if they work I will freeze them, if not they got binned and you never would have heard of my insane experiment into the bun industry.
 
I have adapted these from a recipe from Passion for Baking a friend of the Kitchen, Kris is to blame for my insanity!  I think I almost licked my screen seeing all her pictures on FB.  I did change up the recipe slightly as I am not a fruit in the x bun type person, I do prefer a nice chocky chip.
 
225 ml milk
500 g bread flour or 000 flour (plain flour)
75 ml maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
7 g sachet of yeast
50 g butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon mixed spice
150g dark chocolate chips
 
For the cross
70 g plain flour
5g cocoa powder
5 tablespoons water
 
For the glaze
1 tablespoon boiling water
1 tablespoon castor sugar
 
 
This is the insanity of the kitchen. I have 3 recipes to try this weekend.

 
Heat your milk and then remove from the heat and allow to cool to body temperature.

 
Melt your butter and allow this to cool as well.

 
Beat your egg.

 
In your mixing bowl (or your bread maker if you have one) combine your dry ingredients, a tip from Paul Hollywood (bread god) put your yeast on one side and salt on the other side.  Otherwise the salt will stop the yeast working.

 
With your dough hook attached, start the mixer and add the butter, egg and maple syrup.  Then add the body temp milk and allow to mix on low speed until combined, about a minute.

 
At this stage add the chocolate chips and turn the mixer up to just below high speed.  Allow to work the dough for 10 minutes or the dough is coming away cleanly from the side of the bowl.

 
Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover,  set aside for 2 hours in a warm draft free spot to rise.
 
 
Now at this stage turn the dough onto your bench, you should not need to knead the dough any more.  If you are a bit OCD you can weigh the dough and work out the weight of your 12 pieces of dough and weigh them out. 

 
 If your not so OCD just cut the dough in half, in half again and then each quarter in 3.  This will leave you with a nice even dozen.

 
Now if you watch Paul Hollywood religiously like I do (love the GBBO) you will know his bun/roll rolling technique.  I can't quite do it 2 handed as he does but I think I did pretty well for someone with RA!  Stick your rolls on a baking paper lined baking sheet.

 
Cover with either a plastic bag or glad wrap.  Allow to rise for a further hour.

 
For the cross mix the flour, cocoa powder and water to a smooth paste.

 
Pour the paste into a sandwich bag and cut off the corner to pipe the crosses.

 
It is easiest to do one long straight line across the buns and then do the opposite line across the rows.

 
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in pre heated 180C oven.

 
When you take the buns from the oven mix the boiling water and sugar and brush the top of the buns with the glaze while still hot, this allows the glaze to set and not be sticky.

 
 
Personally I would wait 5 minutes to ensure you don't burn your mouth :) MH there are even some for you in the freezer :)
 
Happy Easter, as you can guess I am happy with the results they didn't get binned!

No comments:

Post a Comment