Thursday 1 January 2015

Sour Cherry Cake


This is for my Mum.  Mum loves this cake,  I made it once and made the mistake of taking the last piece home with me.  I got a phone call from Mum when I got home, she was very annoyed with me to say the least that I took the last slice as she wanted it.


It is a really light, moist cake and even though the name of the recipe suggests that it might be sour, it isn't.  You can pick up jars of Morello cherries in the tinned fruit isle at the supermarket.


1 jar Morello Cherries
125g butter
2 tspn grated lemon zest
3/4 cup castor sugar
2 eggs
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk


Grease and flour a 20cm ring/baba pan.


Drain cherries well and place on paper towel to drain further.


Beat butter, sugar and rind in your mixer until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, mix may look curdled but this is normal.


Add sifted flours and sour cream/milk mixture a third at a time, alternately.


Spread half the mixture into your prepared pan.


Spread the cherries evenly over the mixture


Spread the remaining cake mixture over the cherries carefully.


Bake at 160C for 1 hour 10 minutes or until skewer come out clean.  Allow to stand in pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment