Saturday 10 January 2015

Madeleines with a twist of Lemon


My goodness what is happening in the world?  Hostages taken in Sydney, reporters Murdered in Paris.  My heart goes out to the families of everyone lost in France this week.

I changed my mind on what I was going to post today, hence I am a little late online.  While chatting to my friend Rach and having my nails painted I decided that I would make Madeleine's, I love these little scallop shaped sponge delights.


I don't often buy fancy cake tins.  I have your standard round, square, loaf, lamington, ring.  However you cannot (well you can, but I don't want too) make Madeleine's in anything other than a traditional tin.  My tin is miniature scallops but the standard size is about double mine.


3 eggs
1/2 cup castor sugar
finely grated zest of one lemon
3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 tspn baking powder
60g butter melted and cooled


Pre heat your oven to 200C


Butter and flour your Madeleine tin.

 


In your stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk together the eggs, sugar and lemon zest.  This will take about 10 minutes but you need the eggs to be almost white and doubled in size.


Sift the flour and baking powder together and then sift over the top of the egg mixture, with a metal spoon gently fold the flour through the egg mixture, then fold through the melted, cooled butter.


Spoon mix into your prepared tin, just to the top of the mold.


Bake for 7 to 10 mins for my small tin or 15 to 20 mins for the larger tin.  Allow to cool slightly before turning onto a cooling rack. 

 
 
I like to eat mine still warm dipped in either lemon icing or Blueberry/Raspberry compote and served with a nice hot coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment