Saturday 22 November 2014

Maple Syrup Shortbread


While in Canada Mum bought me a great cookie cutter and I was looking for something to use it on and thought I would use this recipe however it is not suitable for rolling out however tastes out of this world so I just keep trying different cookie recipes.


In Melbourne I can bet that my Mother is getting into her pre Christmas routine of Christmas cakes, mince pies and shortbread.  Mum makes fantastic food and both my brother and I learnt to cook from her.  There are a couple of things that I personally don't enjoy such as fruit cake!

I do enjoy her boozy mince pies warm from the oven, once the are cold I don't enjoy them so much.  Mum's shortbread is traditional Scottish shortbread from a recipe she has been using for years.  I find it a little dry and can only eat it after dunking. 

I have looked for years for a recipe that is thin and crisp and moreish, this is the best recipe I have found to date, nice and easy to make and even easier to eat.  Oh and the whole house smells like warm Maple Syrup, how can that be a bad thing?

230gm room temp butter
2 tablespoons castor sugar
1/2 cup room temp maple syrup
2 cups plain flour


In your stand mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy 3 to 5 minutes,  slowly pour the maple syrup into the butter mixture, it may look curdled, this just means the syrup was a little cold it doesn't affect the recipe.


Add the flour to the mixer on low speed until incorporated.

 

Turn dough out onto some baking paper or kitchen wrap and roll into a cylinder, twist the ends closed and place in the fridge.  Refrigerate for anywhere from 1 hour to 3 days.


Slice the dough to desired thickness, approx. 1/4 cm thick, place on a lined baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes on 170C.


Sprinkle with a dusting of castor sugar when fresh from the oven.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yummy, I could make these. But probably not a good idea I would eat the whole lot MH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny I was going to bring you a little doggie bag Saturday ;)

      Delete
  2. OMG, thanks they are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete