Saturday 25 October 2014

Pink Grapefruit Sorbet


You know when you wing it with a recipe and you think, this is either going to be good or a soaring failure.  This sorbet was one of those for me!  I got 2 pink grapefruit in my fruit box and left them in the fruit bowl thinking to myself, "why on earth would you put this in a fruit box I don't know what to do with this!"

Last weekend was use it or loose it Saturday and I had the grapefruit in my sights.  Google is my friend as usual and I found some sorbet recipes.

This recipe was a fantastic success and no one else in the house is allowed to eat it,  this is mine all mine!

You can make this more family friendly by swapping out the grapefruit for orange juice and the sugar syrup for lemonade/7up to give it a bit of fizz.

1 cup fresh squeezed pink grapefruit juice
zest of one grapefruit
1 cup sugar
1 cup water


Combine the sugar, water and zest in a saucepan and heat until the sugar is dissolved.  Place the sugar syrup in a plastic container or jug and place in the fridge to chill.  I prefer to make mine the night ahead and use it the next day so that its very cold.


Juice your pink grapefruit and refrigerate the juice until cold.  Combine the sugar syrup and juice, this should make up to 2 cups of liquid.

Place your grapefruit mix in your ice cream maker and churn to the manufacturers instructions.  Or if you don't have an ice cream maker you can place in a shallow plastic container in the freezer and every  2 hours remove and whisk.  Continue to repeat this for 12 hours.


Serve in chilled glass or bowl.
 

1 comment: