Sunday 15 June 2014

Oven Baked Chicken and Bacon Risotto


 
Sorry about the photos next time I make this ill redo them.

This was a trial recipe for us.  I saw the recipe in a supermarket specials catalogue weeks ago and don't have the catalogue anymore so I kind of wing it.  However it turned out really well and we will have this again!

I am always looking for something different to do with chicken that is tasty and doesn't take heaps of time and effort.

1 - 2 chicken breast or 4 thigh fillets cut into 2cm cubes
2 rashes of bacon diced.
1 onion diced
2 garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1 tin diced tomatoes
chicken stock
salt and pepper

I use a Le Creuset pan for this but if you don't have an oven proof pan just a casserole dish with a lid is fine.

 
 

In a fry pan heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and fry off the bacon and chicken until browned on all sides remove and set aside. 



In the same pan sauté the onion over medium to low heat for 3 to 4 minutes then add the crushed garlic cloves,  sauté for a further 3 to 4 minutes.  Add the rice (uncooked) to the onions and garlic and stir until coated in oil and sauté for 5 minutes stirring to ensure the rice doesn't stick.


Add the chicken and bacon to the rice and stir through.


Add the tin of tomatoes and stir through.


Add enough chicken stock to cover the rice, add salt and pepper to taste.  If using a casserole dish transfer into dish and cover.  Put in pre heated 180C oven for 45 minutes.  You will need to stir the dish every 10 to 15 minutes if the dish looks a little dry you will need to add more stock.


When you remove from the oven stir through a handful of fresh chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice.  This will just lift the flavour and give it a little zing.

Serve.

4 comments:

  1. Yup I would but would the other person in this house eat it?? I think not!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that too Mum but I just called it chicken and bacon rice. He loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm yum, this sounds lovely. I will be making this nice for a cold winters night. MH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MH for a dish that I kind of threw together I was really happy with this and even himself loved it. You could add veggies as well if you wanted.

      Delete