Saturday 29 March 2014

Ina Garten's Blueberry Crumb Cake


I have been getting lots of blueberries in my fruit boxes this summer, finding things to do with this under used fruit has been fun.  We in Australia don't use blueberries as much as we possibly should.  Of all the summer berries they are by far the cheapest, raspberries and blackberries are far to expensive to buy on a regular basis.

One of my possibly bad habits is watching cooking shows, my other half will only watch Gordon Ramsey, so I watch my favourite shows in the morning over my coffee after he has left for work.  This is one of the Barefoot Contessa recipes I saw about a week ago.

Streusel.

1/4 cup castor sugar
1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 tspn ground cinnamon
115g room butter melted
1 1/3 cup plain flour

Cake.

90g room temp butter
3/4 cup castor sugar
2 eggs
1 tspn vanilla
1/2 tspn grated lemon zest
2/3 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1 tspn baking powder
1/4 tspn baking soda
1/2 salt
1 punnet blueberries

Pre heat your oven to 180C and prepare your cake tin, I use a 23cm round spring form.



For the streusel, combine the castor sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in the melted butter and then the flour. Mix well and set aside.

For the cake, cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla, lemon zest, and sour cream.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Toss the berries in a little flour to stop them sinking and then fold the blueberries in and stir with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.


Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out with a knife. With your fingers, crumble the topping evenly over the batter. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
 

 
Allow to cool and then serve.

9 comments:

  1. Mmmm, this sounds very yummy. Nicer than a normal crumble. MH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, I love a cake with a crumb on top like this. Add in the fresh blueberries and you have created a winner.

    As guest co-host I'd like to say a big thanks for linking up to #FabulousFoodieFridays this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Malinda. I do love freash blueberries especially in a nice light cake.

      Delete
  3. Your photos just make me want to lick the screen - what a great looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shari. It is a favourite at home and work.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Shari. It is a favourite at home and work.

      Delete
  4. well that looks all kinds of fabulous!
    I'm having a cuppa and could really go a slice I must say.
    Thanks for linking up to YWF

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! love the abundance of blueberries around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. I am trying to make as many summer fruit related things as i can before winter sets in.

      Delete