Saturday 16 November 2013

Ina Garten's Stuffed Cabbage Rolls



Today is make ahead day in my house, it's a cooler day, the washing is on and being finished as we speak and I have prepared dinner in advance so I can have a lazy day.  Just the other half and myself no crash test kid today.

My recipe slightly differs from Ina's as I didn't feel like making my own Tomato sauce today, you can if you like or use a couple of jars of passata as I have done, this works just as well if your in a rush. 

I saw this recipe on Ina's show and drooled so I tried it and my other half who doesn't "do" cabbage liked it so it became a keeper.

Sauce, if you wish to make your own is as follows.

2 Onions chopped
2 400g tins Tomatoes
1/4 cup red Wine Vinegar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
Salt and Pepper

Fry onions until translucent, add all other ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.  Allow to cool.

Cabbage Rolls

1 whole Cabbage
1kg mince beef
3 large Eggs
1 Onion finely chopped
1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
1/2 cup White Rice uncooked
1/2 tspn Thyme fresh if you have it or dried if you don't
Salt and Pepper

There are many ways to strip the leaves off a cabbage you can stick it whole in a pot of boiling water and put it in and out to loosen the leave but this takes time, or you can be  impatient like me and just cut the and peal them away carefully.

For the filling put mince, eggs, onion, breadcrumbs, rice, thyme, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl, add a cup of the tomato sauce.  Mix together thoroughly, the mixture may look a little sloppy but remember the rice is uncooked and will absorb the liquid as it cooks.

 
Take the stalk out of the centre of each leaf of cabbage in a V it is easier to roll and too tuff to eat.  Put 1/2 to 1 cup of filling to each leaf and roll.


I put a cup of the sauce (passata) in the bottom of a baking dish or casserole, place the rolls around on the sauce and then cover with the remaining sauce.  At this stage you can stick it in the fridge to cook when ready or cook straight away.

Cook in preheated oven at 180C for 1 hour.  Serve with mash and veg.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment